We are entering draft season already and we’re all wondering who the late round sleepers are in the IDP world, who should you take a flier on? who should be on your radar so you have an advantage on your league mates? I’ll be covering this for you and provide you my top 5 sleepers on the IDP positions (DL, LB, CB, S).
- EVERSON GRIFFEN, Minnesota Vikings : he’s been hiding behind Robison and Allen for quite some time now & has shown flashes of his dominance when he gets the chance to play. Now that Allen is gone, Griffen is expected to take over his spot and has put up 13.5 sacks the last 2 seasons on minimal snaps (impressive). With Zimmer calling the shots now on defense & Griffen getting just about full-time duty (his contract speaks volumes) you can expect Griffen to put up at least 10 sacks and be a very solid DL2.
- MOORE, New York Giants: still struggles against the run which is why Ayers/Kiwanuka have the edge to start early on as they bring more to the table (right now). Declared “not starter ready” so far as OTA’s are going on and camp is about to arrive, bet that changes as we inch towards the week 1 and come mid-season he’ll be the starter. Moore has the upside to get 5-7 Sacks this season, great dynasty grab right now too.
- DEVIN TAYLOR, Detroit Lions: he’s going to battle Jones in camp to start opposite Ansah and I wouldn’t be surprised Jones gets the starting nod early on and Taylor takes it away from him by week 5. Taylor is a beast, quick and wouldn’t see much attention on the line that features Suh, Fairley and Ansah so that’ll let Taylor run free and wreck havoc. Definitely worth a late round pick because he’s an injury or opportunity away from DL2 status.
- LAMARR HOUSTON, Chicago Bears: one has to wonder why Oakland didn’t resign their rising DL but that’s a different story and Chicago got a steal with Houston. He’s so undervalued right now, don’t people realize that having Jared Allen on the line helps? Ray Edwards and Brian Robison had career years, Lamarr is better than both of them as he’s just scratching the surface. No doubt in my mind he gets more than 6 sacks (career high) he posted last year, you can grab Houston as a DL2 and be confident week in week out.
- WALLACE GILBERRY, Cincinnati Bengals: With Michael Johnson gone (60 snaps per game roughly) that leaves a hole between Gilberry and Hunt. Hunt is expected to start but Gilberry has been and will continue to be a solid rotational DE. Gilberry will definitely get an uptick in snaps this season with the possibility of moving inside on nickel packages too. Gilberry posted 16 Sacks the last 2 seasons being a rotational DE, reminds me of William Hayes, just comes in fresh and starts bullying his way through the offensive line. With an increase in snaps, no reason Gilberry can’t flirt with 9-10 sacks being that he’s pretty damn good at putting pressure on the QB and yes, you’d be able to draft Gilberry real late or even pick him up off waivers.
That concludes my 5 DL sleepers for 2014 season, as always feel free to contact me via twitter @IDPwithBEE_DSE